Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 volts to drive 300 watt heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

expertengr

5 volt to drive 300 watt heater

How to drive a 300 watt heater from 5 Volt PIC microcontroller ?

Re: 5 volt to drive 300 watt heater

Hi
Use a current driver and then drive it . because MCU can't handle this current .
For current driver , darlington pair or perhaps a mosfet would be fine .

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi,

if you want to drive this heater from 5V, then you need 60A of current....

But I assume the heater has any other power input.
It can be DC of any voltage, it could be one phase or three phase AC of any voltage....

Maybe you could give us a hint.

Klaus

added:
Do you want heating control? If yes, then how? especially timing.

if you want to drive this heater from 5V, then you need 60A of current....
Hi Klaus
OMG ! i thought he/she is mentioning 300 mw but now i saw it is in watts !!!

in this matter relays or contactors will do the job !

More information is required .

You must read the electrical specifications of your heater, probably it's a 220V heater with about 1.3A current.
A pin can only supply about 20mA at 5V.
You'll need a relay, on the coil side driven by a transistor with enough power rating on it's contacts enough for your heater.

Yes that's true, heater have separate power supply which can be run at 220 V AC or less. The power rating of heater is 300 Watt. In this case should I use a relay ? How to drive the relay using PIC microcontroller ?

Yes that's true, heater have separate power supply which can be run at 220 V AC or less. The power rating of heater is 300 Watt. In this case should I use a relay ? How to drive the relay using PIC microcontroller ?
Use a I/O pin to drive a simple transistor and a relay..Or use a HV MOS suitable switch..
There are many solutions.

Hi,

How to drive the relay using PIC microcontroller ?
Aren´t there already more than enough discussions an cricuits here in this forum?

I assume this has been discussed and solved more than 100.000 times in the internet.

Do we really need to discuss this again?

Klaus

Use a SSR (solid state relay).
That can be driven directly from the PIC.

This is a routine control is many scientific labs. We want to control a 300-500W heater, that is going to heat a body of water and we want to keep the temp of the water bath constant.

The most common solution today is the PWM; The duty depends on the set temp - actual temp. But the same idea is present in many other heaters.

Yes, you can use a mosfet or a IGBT to turn on the heater; most heaters have only a rather low inductance and hence they do not create much fuss.

But whatever you may want to do with the heater, there must be some feedback element. You need to design in this feedback in the master plan.

Sorry the requirement is now change. Now I have 55 Watt heater which need 250 mA current from AC main. The microcontroller I/O can deliver 25 mA current at 5 V. Which kind of relay should I use to drive the AC electrical heater having 55 Watt power ?

Hi,

Read post#9.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.