Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface EMV chip card (smart card) with micro controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu.kurapati

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to interface EMV chip card(smart card) with micro controller?

Hello,

I am new to smart card technology and don't how to access the smart card information, i have gone through the basics and got the initial idea it's a ISO/IEC 7816 format.

I am going to use ATXMEGA32A4U micro controller, but how can i access the information in the EVM card chip, which protocol will support for this?

I read there is some commands to access the chip data, how to get the commands of the EVM smartcard chip? Is there any documents for the commands??

Is there any documentation available to understand the interface between the EVM card chip and Micro controller(ATXMEGA32A4U)?? or there is any generic documentation??

Please share the information any one worked on it, it would help me a lot.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandu.K

Re: How to interface EMV chip card(smart card) with micro controller?

Yes it's ISO 7816 interface. Once you understand it it's easy to implement it with a microcontroller.

There are complete protocol specifications for payment cards, here's the older EMV 96 spec https://www.ttfn.net/techno/smartcards/cardspec.pdf

Re: How to interface EMV chip card(smart card) with micro controller?

Hello again,

Now i understood the EVM commands and communication protocol interface between micro controller and EVM chip card.
But basically my application is smart card Interceptor and the design is prototype device(micro controller device going to develop)
is sits between the point of sale terminal(POS) and smart card chip.
Prototype device listens passively to the electrical signals, the conversation between the chip card and the terminal. But here i didn't understand how the
prototype device can listen the electronic signals from point of sale terminal and smart card.

Here my understanding is prototype device no need to send any commands to the smart card, just to listen the communication between the point of sale terminal and
smart card, any ideas please help me to achieve this.

Thanks for the support,

Status
Not open for further replies.