Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer 230:12 used as 12vdc --> 150+vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxfire

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I've got this little transformer from my power suply 12Vdc 500mA,
I'd like to use it as converter 12V -->200V to charge up condensators 4700uF to approximately 200Vdc,
i"ve used ne555 to switch transistor with 8Hz to supply secondary winding with 8V and 2A, but max output in primary winding was only 7Vdc<graetz bridge> because of transistor serious heating <tip120>
no matter where i've put voltage, secondary or primary winding, output was the same, max 7Vdc with ne555 and by hand 10Vdc,
Am I doing something wrong? or there is better way to do this?

Thank for Your guidance,

Hi,

Without circuit we can only guess.

But why 8Hz? Isn´t it a transformer for 50 or 60 Hz?
If the transistor is heating, then most probably because of high current and a considerable voltage drop.

Klaus

At 8 Hz, a transformer designed for powerline applications will saturate and overheat.

Also...with the NE555 it is elaborate to obtain a precise 50% duty cycle. Without a precise 50% duty cycle, the core will saturate.
Are you driving the transformer pushpull or single ended? That could also be a contributor.

But as Klaus mentions, without full information we can't help you.

If the transformer is for 50Hz, it won't work.The frequency is directly contributed into transformer design.

As mentioned, you'll use 50 Hz or higher drive frequency. Secondly a standard mains transformer has no air gap and can't handle DC current. Thus a single transistor converter isn't feasible. Consider push-pull, half- or full bridge converter topology.

Status
Not open for further replies.