Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is this device on the utility pole on the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellsMichael

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is this device on utility pole at road

this is on the utility pole between my neighbor and my house. this is what it looked like when i first noticed it . not sure if neighbor did this or if dsl company did this .

whatisthis2.jpg

and what it looks like now

whatisthis.jpg

sorry for the botchy photos, i had to crop out the background

my neighbor recently (without asking) tapped into my dsl connection box that is right next to my house , the one that feeds the wire into the home, his had to be moved due to construction supposedly,. i had dsl company come remove his wires from my box.....and i am wanting to make sure he isn't trying to tap into mine again.

Re: what is this device on utility pole at road

this is on the utility pole between my neighbor and my house. this is what it looked like when i first noticed it . not sure if neighbor did this or if dsl company did this .

It looks like, given your grainy photos, to be a connection box. Power from the pole goes into this box as does the feed to your meter.

my neighbor recently (without asking) tapped into my dsl connection box that is right next to my house , the one that feeds the wire into the home, his had to be moved due to construction supposedly,. i had dsl company come remove his wires from my box.....and i am wanting to make sure he isn't trying to tap into mine again.

You should have called the police. What your neighbor did was theft.

It may be too soon for you to confront your neighbor about this. This could turn out to be a human nature challenge. Think through what you might lose versus what you might gain.

No doubt he will claim he knows nothing.
Or else he'll claim he paid a 'professional installer' who in fact was a scam artist.
Or else he'll admit he hooked up the box but in ignorance of legal issues. Etc.

so this is an electrical connection box? its not a type of dsl box from at & t? ive seen at & t boxes just like this (closed) but have never seen the inside of one as in the photo.

the pole that it is on is by the road....this is where i get my electricity from...a wire goes from this pole to another pole right next to my home.

i was thinking it was either a dsl box but if you guys think it is for electricity.....it is possible that he is going to use it for a water pump to kick the water out of his yard.

he is one sneaky guy. he loves his security cams....has several of them....of which 3 are devoted to me. (that i know of). i wouldn't doubt if the scum bucket has a camera in my house. as he has had access to my home in the past for odd jobs.

here is the original photo of the thing

20170531_172322.jpg

If you parallel DSL wires it stops them working. You can't get two DSL connections to sync to the line simultaneously so if in doubt (and you don't already) just leave your DSL modem switched on. If it is indeed a DSL tap, it will stop your connection working too of course.

If its a power connection, the wires seem very thin and I wouldn't think regulations would allow it as such a low height where it is accessible.

Can you show a close up picture of the box with its cover removed so we can see the type of cables please.

Brian.

Looks like dsl box. Line coming down pole to box may be phone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back