Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clamp on cable ferrite for scope lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to your diagram, the circuit under test has a floating ground and when that is connected to the scope ground anything can happen
Thanks, but as you know, it is isolated and has a floating ground precisely because we need to attached the scope ground (earth) to any of its nodes.

...it is isolated and has a floating ground precisely because we need to attached the scope ground (earth) ...

The isolation is nominal and notional. There is considerable capacitive and inductive coupling within the transformer. The isolation is designed to prevent shock hazard and it passes a DC test (for isolation).

My personal opinion (I may be wrong as usual) is that it is better to isolate the scope using a transformer because a good scope has a decent ground and that is connected to earth only at one point (chassis).

If you have 1:100 probes, please use them because they will be better to reduce the coupling noise too.

Your statement is correct only in theory.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
My personal opinion (I may be wrong as usual) is that it is better to isolate the scope using a transformer because a good scope has a decent ground and that is connected to earth only at one point (chassis).
Thanks, yes we tried that but it didnt stop the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.