Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delta-Sigma ADC FFT peaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Essam

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
i designed a Delta sigma ADC ( switch-cap), with the FFT plot attached, the issue is i don't understand why such peaks exist (my Fin = 3.3 Khz, my Sampling Freq = 100KHz) BT.png

Hi,

* 100kHz sampling frequency and 8129 samples measn you have a window size of 81.29ms.
* 3.3kHz means you have a period time of 0.30303ms

* now divide both: 81.29ms / 0.30303ms = 268.257 ... this is by far no integer value. It is not 268.000 and not 269.000

--> you need to use a window function before you perform the FFT. Hanning, Hamming, Blackman-Harris or other. Each has it´s benefits and it´s drawbacks.

But best is you use an input frequency that is a pure integer multiple of 1/81.29 ms = 12.3016 Hz and is derived from the same clock source as the sampling clock.

Klaus

hi
thank you for your help

regarding what you say " But best is you use an input frequency that is a pure integer multiple of 1/81.29 ms = 12.3016 Hz and is derived from the same clock source as the sampling clock."
do i have to chose prime odd number ? odd? even ? any integer ?

Hi,

just integer.

to get about 3.3kHz: --> use 268 or 269

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.