Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase reference of Etheta in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoweis

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS Phase Reference for rE_theta
In HFSS, I built a half wave dipole and placed the radiation box at lambda/4 from the dipole edges. From far field reports, I created the radiation pattern for the Real and Imaginary rEθ.

Theoretically, at Φ=0° and θ=90°, Eθ is given by:
etheta.PNG

so rEθ should be:
rEtheta.PNG

I understand that the magnitude of the rEθ does not change with r. However, the angle between the real and imaginary parts depends on r:

angle (1).PNG

My question is at which r does HFSS calculate rE?

As an example, consider a half-wave dipole with lambda =51.7 mm located at origin and oriented in the z-axis. The radiation box extends from -13.13 mm to 13.13 mm in both x and y directions. When I plot rEθ pattern, at Φ=0° and θ=90°, I get Re[rEθ] =-5.2 and Im[rEθ]=-7.2. That is, the angle between them is -2.2 rad. This angle should actually be π/2 -kr. With k=2π/lambda, r becomes 30.1 mm. That is, HFSS calculated the real and imaginary components of rEθ at 30.1mm from the origin. Any reason for this specific r?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back