Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIX Vt cells in clock tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDesign

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am working on TSMC 40nm technology.
I would like to understand why it is not recommended to mix different Vt cells into clock tree.

Many thanks,
GDesign

You can mix, the tools will take care of it for you without any issues. Implementation is not the issue, but QoR might be.

The only concern is that you might be creating insertion delays that are very pessimistic when the worst case corner of each Vt is considered. The way process variation affects the low Vt cells is different from the way it will affect the high Vt cells. Some of it is random, but some of it is systematic and that would mess with your clock tree balancing. You could create a scenario where your actual silicon has lowVt cells that are consistently 5% slower than typ lowVt, and highVt cells that are 5% faster than typ highVt(just an example). Had you used cells of the same Vt all over, you could be eliminating the systematic variation component.

Hi,
many thanks for your reply.

it is a fix due to power issues: doing the swap for some cells I don't see any big worsening regarding timing.

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back