Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TDK ceramics 10uF 100V 1210 fake or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I find on Aliexpress **broken link removed**
with photo of C3225X7R2A106KT , but if I search datasteet or any information on TDK
TDK no such capacitors offer.
I can not look or it's a fake?
Where can i find a datasheet?

The TDK type C3225X7R2A106KT does exist, but of course the fact doesn't tell anything about the origin of the Aliexpress offer. The price is nice, however. I see > 50 cent for competitive Murata types.

If it exists, why is not it on TDK web?
Yes the price is excellent.
That's why I have the urge to buy them and use them as input and output capacitor in 250kHz switching power supply.

My vote is it is fake. Evidence is that the TDK doesn't have any thing close to the value/voltage on their site. I certainly wouldn't use it in any circuit that I cared if it lasted more than a few days.

There is an old saying:

if it is too good to be true, most likely it is not true.

That sounds like a good plan.
I would check the capacitance value with a trusty meter, and if possible, apply the full 100 volts DC to determine whether they actually are able to withstand it.

You are right, but who would be complicated to forge, a TDK with a production date of 2013 and a product that is not on the TDK web. I would choose an existing and easy-to-find product
We wrote to sellers.
I asked for the origin.
Whether they are guaranteeing quality and authenticity
I explained to him.
Buy, measure capacity and voltage, In case of problems, I will require a refund
In short, when it comes to fake, it tells me and we do not waste time
We will see if and what will answer

timof;

your assessment is probably correct. Most likely it will be a 10uf, 100V capacitor. But it is unlikely that it is a legitimate X7R ceramic, which will be far more difficult to prove.

This is good to know, about ceramic capacitors:...

All capacitors, perhaps except the ones with air core, have some sort of voltage dependence. That is because the charges within the dielectric will be non-uniformly distributed and the effective dielectric constant will get reduced.

See this paper, the last two pages (there are graphs) https://arxiv.org/vc/physics/papers/0511/0511007v1.pdf

These ceramics are somewhat ionic: the smaller ones have lots of charges squeezed into a small volume.

They are essentially varicaps: but that is not the point here. The same principles govern the capacitance in both cases (semiconductor varicaps and ceramic capacitors of very small sizes).

So we tried to contact the seller at aliexpress twice. For the first time over aliexpress, the second time by email.
After four days without reply.
Nno answer, also answer.

As a rule, I only trust on suppliers who have only new products on their stock. Not long ago I needed to replace a ceramic capacitor with another 1000 times bigger, so I searched an electrolytic with the smallest footprint possible, but I was amazed to find this 1206 100uF ceramic here, but it was easy to understand why: It is rated to 6.3v. In the case of the above TDK, even though the 1210 package is a bit wider, 100V seems a bit exaggerated to be true.

... 100V seems a bit exaggerated to be true.

I presume it means max working voltage (that I shall apply for 1 min) is 100V and the DC (low frequency) capacitance is 100uF. I shall use a bias potential of 0V for the test. Let me wait for the stuff to arrive.

Sometimes the voltage specified is abs max value; in such cases I reduce the value to 80% (reduce by 20%) of the nominal value. Most electrolytics have -20% to +100% tolerance range. So my idea may sound adhoc but I am somewhat confident...

Status
Not open for further replies.