Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to merge 2 LEF designs in Synopsys IC Compiler II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majd229

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Im trying to merge 2 lefs together. after loading tech and stuff, im doing:
read_lef lef1.lef
read_lef lef2.lef
write_lef merged.lef
but the output lef doesnt have any pins or anything, just layer information. How can i merge the 2 lefs together properly? cant find much on solvnet.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

i tried:

read_lef lef1.lef
read_lef lef2.lef
check_workspace
write_lef merged.lef

it printed out one lef but with 2 separate macros and all their pins. however, i only want it to have one top macro. so inside the lef there would be one MACRO statement and all the pins of the 2 lefs combined under it. right now it has 2 MACRO statements and each macro has its own pins. how can i make it one topcell macro?

that's not how it works. you are using a physical design tool to merge 2 layout abstractions. that's not how we design things.

lef/def files can be used in hierarchical form, I would struggle to understand why you need to merge 2 files.

that's not how it works. you are using a physical design tool to merge 2 layout abstractions. that's not how we design things.

lef/def files can be used in hierarchical form, I would struggle to understand why you need to merge 2 files.

I have 2 macros GDS and LEFs. For some long reasons, I need to merge the 2 GDS separately and the 2 LEFs separately into 1 cell to run analysis on, because the two macros complement each others (ESD pads and actual macro). Does this make sense?

It doesn't. Merge the 2 GDS files, then export a new combined LEF using your preferred layout editor. remember: a lef is just a simplified layout abstraction. if you have the real layout, you can generate everything you need from it.

It doesn't. Merge the 2 GDS files, then export a new combined LEF using your preferred layout editor. remember: a lef is just a simplified layout abstraction. if you have the real layout, you can generate everything you need from it.

you can export LEF from GDS? I thought LEF is created before the GDS, and after the schematic. Which tools let you generate LEF from GDS?

You don't need to merge two GDSs. You have two LEFs - good, it means you have two instances that can be overlapped. I suppose, you also have separate timing models (.lib) for them. So, make a design, that contains these two instances. And analyse it.

You don't need to merge two GDSs. You have two LEFs - good, it means you have two instances that can be overlapped. I suppose, you also have separate timing models (.lib) for them. So, make a design, that contains these two instances. And analyse it.

that's is the thing though, OP is not trying to design. he is trying to merge.

I can merge the 2 GDS easy. But how do you go from GDS to lef? Im trying to use a flow at my work disposal but it needs a verilog interface file (called verilog stub or vshell) that contains the top pins. But i dont have that for the merged version. What tools can go from GDs to lef directly?

abstract generator from cadence will do it

My flow that i was talking about is actually virtuoso. Im getting an error:
INFO: Streamin to create new layout view...
INFO: Creating abstract view ...
ERROR: Layout view does not have any pins or labels.
Abstract generation failed.

Its not seeing any pins or labels but i can clearly see them in the merged gds i supplied. Do you have any idea?

Make sure pins are using the right layer. Many pdks have special layers for pins/labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back