Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speeding up HFSS script for model creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Folks,

I'm building a large structure in HFSS with thousands of periodically-placed lumped RLC boundary conditions. I can't use the eigenmode-solver and a smaller section of the structure because (1) it's an open structure, and (2) the distribution of the R, L, and C of the boundary conditions changes spatially.

I have a script that actually builds the rectangle, selects them, and assigns the BC (along with the current direction line). T

he issue is that during the build, HFSS slows to a crawl, requiring minutes to build a single BC. The modeler reports a progress bar with "Update UI data-RUNNING, Initialize viewing and picking data..."

Any ideas on how to speed this up?

Regards,
J

Is there any way to suppress the UI re-drawing the model after each BC (or object) is created?

-J

I don't believe there is any way to suppress redrawing. Also, you probably don't have enough memory to calculate anything useful. Such is the limit of field simulators.

I am not sure whether this might help - Try unchecking the option Do Autosave under Tools > Options > General

I don't believe there is any way to suppress redrawing. Also, you probably don't have enough memory to calculate anything useful. Such is the limit of field simulators.

SLK001 -- I don't believe this is the case. The machine I'm using (RHEL) has 512GB of RAM. The process that's building the model is using less than 15GB of RAM.

-J

I am not sure whether this might help - Try unchecking the option Do Autosave under Tools > Options > General

I will give this a try. I've noted that if, prior to executing the script that builds the BCs, if I hide all the solids in the model in all views, the script is able to execute much more quickly (I'd say almost 100% faster). It still begins to slow down as the number of created BCs grows...

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back