Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optical extention of a parallel bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a simple synchronous parallel bus that connects to the input pins of an FPGA.
The bus consists of the following signals:
1. Data (16 lines)
2. Valid
3. Clock

"Data" and "Valid" are synchronous to "Clock" which runs at 100MHz.

I want my FPGA to serialize the input and send it via an optical wire (SFP).
The receiving side of the fiber is also an. FPGA that does the opposite. I.E extract the clock and the signals synchronous to it.
The extracted clock on the receiving end will be driven into a PLL and used as a system clock.

Can you please suggest a SERDES In core that can connect to the SFP and can be implemented on a Xilinx device?

Clock recovery is the critical task. I'm not aware of respective hardware features with Xilinx FPGA (besides Gigabit receivers with built-in CDR). With Altera, you can use PLL dynamic phase shift to implement a kind of soft clock recovery.

In any case, SFP needs DC balanced data streams, e.g. 8b/10b coded.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Here is something that might interest you as to the feasibility of doing a FPGA (Xilinx V5 in this case) and SFP transmission of data using Aurora protocol.

shaiko

The example is using Gigabit (GTX) transceivers, a perfect and self-contained solution for high bit rates (e.g. > 600 MBPS). Unfortunately the OP didn't mention the intended speed range.

shaiko

Unfortunately the OP didn't mention the intended speed range.
The SFP's will be selected by according to the throughput requirement...I.E: 16 data bits + 1 control bit + 1 clock signal. This means that the total serial throughput is (16 + 1 + 1) * 100,000,000 = 1.7GHz

Any transceiver of a 7 series FPGA will handle that.

ads-ee,
I've used Aurora 8b/10b before to connect 2 Xilinx FPGAs and it worked well.
However, in both cases - I only had to move data from one side to the other (not a clock...).
Now I want to simply "Mirror" the parallel interface of FPGA #1 to FPGA #2 (including the clock). I don't want to sample the Data and Valid signals in FPGA #1 and move them without the clock to FPGA #2.

Is this possible with Aurora ?

The SFP's will be selected by according to the throughput requirement...I.E: 16 data bits + 1 control bit + 1 clock signal. This means that the total serial throughput is (16 + 1 + 1) * 100,000,000 = 1.7GHz
The calculation is different. 16 data bits with 8b/10b coding makes 20 serial bits. You need at least 2 GHz for 100 MWords/s. The clock is already embedded in the data stream. Data gaps can be marked by 8b/10b idle characters.

Now I want to simply "Mirror" the parallel interface of FPGA #1 to FPGA #2 (including the clock). I don't want to sample the Data and Valid signals in FPGA #1 and move them without the clock to FPGA #2.
The data stream has to be synchronized to the 8b/10b encoder and serializer clock. I would call it a kind of "sampling".

You're proposing to pass the data stream.
What I need to do is pass the data as well as the clock...

Passing clock and data because the clock is embedded in the 8b/10b coded stream.

Passing clock and data because the clock is embedded in the 8b/10b coded stream.
You're saying that one of the outputs of Xilinx's Aurora 8b/10b (or Altera's equivalent SerialLite) IP block is the extracted clock?

You can have a recovered "parallel" clock output from the receiver block.

shaiko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back