Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current measurement problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DentAnt

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I need a circuit with 6V supply. That is why I connected these 4 batteries (1.5 v) together as in the attached picture. When I measure the voltage, it gives me 6 V. However, the problem is when I am measuring the current, the batteries get very hot after keeping the probes as on this picture (measure.png) for about 30 seconds and when keeping them for some longer time, I heard some cooking sound like ''it's about to explode soon'' and I removed the probes fast because I was afraid that the batteries would explode . I am sure that I connected the batterie's polarities - and + the right way and on the multimeter, I placed the cursor on 10A for the measurement..

I would like to know if you know why the batteries have that behavior when we measure the current and if everything is ok with my way of measurement ?

Thank you

Attachments

• measure.png
    measure.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

You use a bad measurement method.Batteries,power supplies and similar devices are not short circuited by anyway.
Multimeter makes your battery short circuit while it is measuring .. be avoid.

... the problem is when I am measuring the current, the batteries get very hot after keeping the probes as on this picture (measure.png) for about 30 seconds and when keeping them for some longer time, I heard some cooking sound like ''it's about to explode soon'' and I removed the probes fast because I was afraid that the batteries would explode . I am sure that I connected the batterie's polarities - and + the right way and on the multimeter, I placed the cursor on 10A for the measurement..

This is NOT the way to measure current. To measure current, you need a load and the current is defined by the load. What you are measuring is called the short circuit current and is likely to be very large because the load is absent.

The potential is defined without a load but the current is NOT. If you short circuit (the way you are doing) the batteries, they will pass very high current and the batteries will overheat (the internal resistance of the battery is acting as the load in this case).

You need a lamp or a circuit and measure the current through the lamp or the circuit. The multimeter is connected in series with the load when measuring the current (the same current flows through the battery, the multimeter and the load).

While measuring the voltage, the meter is placed in parallel with the load (across the connection terminal). An ideal multimeter has ZERO internal resistance when measuring the current but has infinite resistance when you are measuring the voltage.

Please refer to standard text books for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.