Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using an AC/DC converter instead of transformer, for small electronics projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeeeee

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am looking for a little advice.

I frequently build small analog/digital electronics circuits (using op amps, standard logic chips, etc.), and have a question about power supplies. In the past, I have typically either simply used a lab bench-top power supply, or built a simple transformer + rectification + smoothing circuit, in order to give the necessary small DC voltages for my circuit (+5V, +12V, etc).

However, I recently saw that there are available these very small AC/DC converters, so I bought an ECL10US12 (from XP Power) https://xppower.com/Product/ECL05-30-Series , which take the mains 240VAC and step it down to 12VDC (10W max output power). Since these are much simpler and smaller than building my own linear supply using a bulky transformer, I would like to begin using these for my projects in the future.

Does anyone have any experience using these types of devices for powering the basic low-power cicuits I have described, and have any advice on how to implement it? Is there some good reason why I should stick to the large transformer type PSUs?

In terms of noise, would it be a good idea for example to use external capacitors for filtering out any noise on the PSU output? I can see in the datasheet for this device that it has a switching frequency of 70kHz, and since my circuits are usually quite sensitive, I wouldn't want this noise to show up later in the design. I assume it would then be sensible to use standard voltage regulators directly on the output (e.g. a 7812 regulator)?

Anything I might not be thinking of would be good to know,

Many thanks

Apart from the potential noise problem they are 'drop-in' replacements for conventional supplies. Do bear in mind they probably have a shorter life expectancy than other PSUs but it should still run into many years under normal usage.

Brian.

Standard LM78xx have very poor ripple rejection at the tens-of-kilohertz noise that a SMPS produces.

It is better if you employ a suitable Pi-filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.