Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor layout design in Cadence Virtuoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vijay Vinay

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I need to design an inductor layout of value 97pH in b11hfc technology for my Cherry Hooper amplifier layout design. I am currently using an inductor from 'analogLib' library. Now I need to make a layout design for the same inductor in Cadence Virtuoso 0.6.1. Help is appreciated. Thanks

The inductor in analogLib is used for simulations only, there is no layout view of it at all..
You should create your own inductor by your foundry PDK.Either there might be parametric pcells or you have to create it from scratch using design rules.

Hi BigBoass,
could you tell me how to create my own layout design for inductor. I am new to this topic.Thanks

Hi BigBoass,
could you tell me how to create my own layout design for inductor. I am new to this topic.Thanks

Your PDK may have some parametric pcells that can be customized for certain inductor values.Otherwise you should select a inductor pattern/layout such as spiral,octagon,square,rectangular etc. and then you have to find approximate value for this inductor.There are many equations in the literature for that but don't forget these equations are just approximations and the real value can be pretty far from equation based value.
After that, you have to do a EM simulation in order to find the real value.For that purpose, you can use a planar EM simulator such as Keysight Momentum or Sonnet Blink that are integrated into Cadence ADE.
And finally, you do EM simulations in an iterative manner until find the final and wanted value ( cut and try ).So, there is no straightforward method to create Microwave inductors on the silicon due to different substrate structures,different material compositions.

Hi Bigboss,
Could you elaborate on your last quote, because still I can't get your point clearly. I have told you I am new to this topic. Is there any pdfs or books on how to create our ouwn layout design for our instances, here inductor, for example. Help is appreciated

Hi Bigboss,
Could you elaborate on your last quote, because still I can't get your point clearly. I have told you I am new to this topic. Is there any pdfs or books on how to create our ouwn layout design for our instances, here inductor, for example. Help is appreciated
High-Frequency Integrated Circuits, Sorin Voinigescu ,ISBN: 9780521873024 pp:274-310

You can make an inductor easily using some tools like Dr. Maulhaus (not sure about the spelling). You can try using some EM tool like SONNET or HFSS for verifying the inductor. You can then import it to cadence.

You can make an inductor easily using some tools like Dr. Maulhaus (not sure about the spelling). You can try using some EM tool like SONNET or HFSS for verifying the inductor. You can then import it to cadence.

Dr. Maulhaus software needs ADS and it is not free. you have to install it as a toolkit for ADS.

you need to define technology substrate in ADS first of all in order to do EM for your inductor.

90pH will be a line and you can make it with some trials.

you make it then you do EM if it is not okey you cut it or bend it or extend it.

line.png

Last edited:
Dr. Maulhaus software needs ADS and it is not free. you have to install it as a toolkit for ADS.

you need to define technology substrate in ADS first of all in order to do EM for your inductor.

90pH will be a line and you can make it with some trials.

you make it then you do EM if it is not okey you cut it or bend it or extend it.

View attachment 140713

Hi Dr. Maulhuas works with SONNET also. I have done that before and taped out a chip and it works. I think Dr. Maulhaus software is free but SONNET is not. You need to purchase SONNET for running EM sims.

You can make an inductor easily using some tools like Dr. Maulhaus (not sure about the spelling).

Yes, we have a fully automated Inductor Synthesis (RFIC Inductor Toolkit) for Keysight ADS, pre-configured for the B11HF technology. Output is layout (GDSII, OA) and circuit model for Spectre.
Results are EM accurate, based on a combination of synthesis equations and EM (Momentum and/or FEM). It is a commercial product (not free), but there are university licenses available.

https://muehlhaus.com/products/rfic-inductor-toolkit-for-ads

I agree with the posts above that 97pH is "almost nothing", so the shape will be a very small single turn loop, or a short line segement. Not so good for getting the optimum Q factor .... does this matter for your application? My customers working in the 30-40GHz range often use ~400pH for oscillator coils. What is your frequency and what inductor shape do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dr. Maulhuas works with SONNET also.

Some years ago, we offered a simple, free inductor layout generator to create a Sonnet model. This is no longer available, and the workflow was mostly manual work, because Sonnet can't be automated. The new ADS-based solution (commercial product) is almost fully automated.

Last edited:

I agree with the posts above that 97pH is "almost nothing", so the shape will be a very small single turn loop, or a short line segement. Not so good for getting the optimum Q factor .... does this matter for your application? My customers working in the 30-40GHz range often use ~400pH for oscillator coils. What is your frequency and what inductor shape do you need?

I did this too for tape out. Not 97pH but I made 150 pH with a line for LNA IC; however, you suffer from low Q which should be compensated by other components using optimization.

Your PDK may have some parametric pcells that can be customized for certain inductor values.Otherwise you should select a inductor pattern/layout such as spiral,octagon,square,rectangular etc. and then you have to find approximate value for this inductor.There are many equations in the literature for that but don't forget these equations are just approximations and the real value can be pretty far from equation based value.
After that, you have to do a EM simulation in order to find the real value.For that purpose, you can use a planar EM simulator such as Keysight Momentum or Sonnet Blink that are integrated into Cadence ADE.
And finally, you do EM simulations in an iterative manner until find the final and wanted value ( cut and try ).So, there is no straightforward method to create Microwave inductors on the silicon due to different substrate structures,different material compositions.

I have Keysight Momentum EM simulator in my Cadence Viruoso Plugins. I am planning to create an octagonal shaped inductor for my circuit design. Maybe this works well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back