Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use two separate codes in FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ176

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I am working on interfacing the ADC and the DAC of a Spartan-3A starter kit. I have written a code for the ADC interface and DAC interface separately. I wanted to know how I can use these two separate codes together? Can I program the FPGA with more than one bit file?

If so, how can I get the data from ADC to DAC? Or send data from FPGA to DAC to test my code?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I don´t know if you have made both projects with VHDL, verilog, schematic....
--> But the simple answer is: merge both projects to get one complete project.

You can´t load more than one bit file into an FPGA.

Klaus

You can´t load more than one bit file into an FPGA.
Klaus

Technically this is not true. You can use partial reconfiguration to load different partial configuration images into an initial base configuration image.

Hi,

Wow. I´ve never heard about that. Is this possible with XILINX´Spartan 7 and Spartan 3?
I need to do an internet search..

Klaus

I'm not sure if it is available with Spartan 3/7, I've only used it on Kintex 7 and Virtex 7. It's a separate license and it is rather hard to even get the part number for a purchase request. I suspect Xilinx doesn't promote it much because it is an advance flow which typically requires an excessive amount of user support. From what I've heard it's mostly used by those in the government contract space. Formerly it was very very difficult to work with, in Vivado it's pretty easy to use.

So if it is even available in Spartan 3 I would avoid it. As Spartan 7 is in Vivado there is a chance it will be supported.

partial reconfiguration was the buzzword some 7-5 years ago. it seems the industry has kind of moved on from that. it made a lot of sense for space applications, but not so much for other domains.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, the OP's problem is not solved by PR. It is only the follow up conversation about using "two bit files" that is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back