Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge Lead acid battery with power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha91

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, i have a 12V lead acid battery. rating as follow:

Boost/equalize: 14.5-15.0V
Float: 13.5-13.8V
Max. charging current: 0.69A

I wondering can i charge the battery with a 12V switching power supply directly? or i do need a LM317 charging circuit?

Hi,

For charging the battery you need at least 13.8V, better 14.4V (for a short time).
12V is not enough.

Klaus

Hi,

For charging the battery you need at least 13.8V, better 14.4V (for a short time).
12V is not enough.

Klaus

Hi, Klaus.
OK. because the switching power supply actually can adjust the voltage level. So, if i am able to adjust it to
13.8V and above, means i am able to charge my battery? and how about the current? should i have concern on it? my power supply is 5A

Hi,

The max battery charging current is given with 0.69A --> you have to limit it.

Klaus

Hi,

The max battery charging current is given with 0.69A --> you have to limit it.

Klaus

So means that as long as the charging current is below 0.69A it should be fine?

If you connect a partially or fully discharged battery to the power supply, why should the current be below 0.69A? It can rise to 5A or more.

Read the datasheet, how does the power supply react on overload? Does it a continuous current limit to 5A, or shut down for some time?

As already stated, if the power supply isn't able to perform a continuous current limit (only a few models do), you need to add an external current limiter circuit.

Hi,

So means that as long as the charging current is below 0.69A it should be fine?
If you want to build a chrging circuit I recommend to read some documents about charging (principles).
Within a couple of minutes you will find out
* what charging modes are recommended
* how they work
* what you have to care about
* and what you need to avoid..

Klaus

Hi,

If you want to build a chrging circuit I recommend to read some documents about charging (principles).
Within a couple of minutes you will find out
* what charging modes are recommended
* how they work
* what you have to care about
* and what you need to avoid..

Klaus

Alright, thank you very much.
I will study more for battery charging circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.