Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monopole antenna gain , bandwidth and polarization

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdon

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to know what how can I calculate the bandwidth, gain and know the polarization of a very thick, 20 cm long quarter wave monopole antenne (wire) precisely?
Are there some formulas for bandwdth or gain depending on the wire length and thickness variables for that antenna?
How would those antenna propreties change if I wrap it around ( I make a few cirles )?

Thank you

There are probably formulas to calculate what you want, but I have always just measured my antennas. You don't specify what you mean by "very thick" - 2 cm, 2 meters? The thickness of the wire has some effect on the bandwidth. The formula for the gain would only apply at antenna resonance. If you wrapped the wire around a circular form, you would create a normal mode helical antenna, which has a wider bandwidth that a monopole. You could probably find the formulas that you want in books like Antenna Theory, by Balanis. Kraus also has a couple of excellent books on the subject.

There are probably formulas to calculate what you want, but I have always just measured my antennas. You don't specify what you mean by "very thick" - 2 cm, 2 meters? The thickness of the wire has some effect on the bandwidth. The formula for the gain would only apply at antenna resonance. If you wrapped the wire around a circular form, you would create a normal mode helical antenna, which has a wider bandwidth that a monopole. You could probably find the formulas that you want in books like Antenna Theory, by Balanis. Kraus also has a couple of excellent books on the subject.

sorry, I made mistake by saying thick, I wanted to say ''THIN'' instead of thick !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back