Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Level employment of the "imply" operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownBear1968

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Almost all of the 16 possible logic 2-variable operations can be exemplified with some kind of what I will call here as a medium/high-level circuit.

Example:
A XOR gate can be presented with half/full-adders.
ANDs, ORs, NOTs, NANDS, NORs with its several applications (mux, demux, encoders/decoders, etc).

But I couldn´t find an example for the imply operation A --> B (or A' + B)

A B A->B
0 0 1
0 1 1
1 0 0
1 1 1

Does anybody know any kind of medium-high level example wich uses the imply operator?
Regards

I'm not sure I understand your question; it looks like you already have your answer:

Out=(NOT A) OR B.

This would be an OR gate with B on one input and a NOT gate on the other input; the input to the NOT is A.

I'm not sure I understand your question; it looks like you already have your answer:

Out=(NOT A) OR B.

This would be an OR gate with B on one input and a NOT gate on the other input; the input to the NOT is A.

Hi berry,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, the imply operator produces the same effect as the A' + B.

What I am looking for is any combinational circuit that regularly employs the "imply as an imply operator".
An example: we usually prefer to express A XOR B instead of A'B + AB'.

Regards

I don't understand the exact problem. You know how to implement the intended logic operation, as a matter of fact an "imply" operator isn't available in most commonly used logic description languages.

Seriously, I don't even see it's purpose.

Hi berry,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, the imply operator produces the same effect as the A' + B.

What I am looking for is any combinational circuit that regularly employs the "imply as an imply operator".
An example: we usually prefer to express A XOR B instead of A'B + AB'.

Regards

I am so lost. Are you talking about expression factoring?

I suspect the OP is asking about basic logic circuits that are normally drawn using different types of gates.

For example, xor is used in the conditional invert, full-adder, and parity. xnor for compare equal. "and" for enable.

I'm not familiar of any circuit that performs a basic function that uses this operation. There are certainly complex circuits that have this logic.

I guess CPU pipelines can allow this logic. allow_pipeline_progress = (data_ready implies sink_ready); If data_ready is true and sink_ready is false the pipeline stalls. if data_ready is false the value might not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back