Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate corner frequency (1/f corner) for a single MOSFET in Cadence ADE L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

havingyu

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using Cadence ADE L to characterize the 1/f corner (the frequency when flicker noise is equal to drain current noise) of a single NFET with an aspect ratio of 20u/120n. I did a "noise" simulation with frequency ranging from 1 to 10THz. Then, I could see two ways to plot noise:
1. Direct plot -> Main form -> noise -> Output Noise -> plot;
2. Calculator -> vn -> select the MOS device in schematics -> select fn and id in the list popped out -> the equation in calculator will be like "VNPP("/T1","fn")" and VNPP("/T1","id") -> then plot both and find the "corner";
I did both, but neither gave me a normal result. I found my corner frequency at 250MHz for a nfet of 20u/120n using the first method! And 300MHz for the same device using the second method!
I think the normal corner frequency for a 20u/120n NFET should be around 100kHz at least, not some value in MHz. Could anyone kindly tell me where I did wrong and how to get a correct corner frequency for a single device?

Depending on the simulator used (Spectre? Hspice? Spice?), from your GUI input a simulator control file is built. It would be helpful if you could show this control file.

Depending on the simulator used (Spectre? Hspice? Spice?), from your GUI input a simulator control file is built. It would be helpful if you could show this control file.

Thanks for the quick response, Erikl. I'm using SpectreRF. I'm not sure if this is the answer you want.

Show me Netlist you use.

Show me following plot.
X-Axis : log frequency
Y-Axis : db10(output_noise**2)

Status
Not open for further replies.