Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help regarding searching & choosing a Voltage converter & Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorEE

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want do design a PCB that basically passes or stops the 12-24 AC/DC input voltage
I'm looking for the 5v Voltage converter (for MCU & other IC's) and for a Relay controlled by the MCU
A very high level block diagram attached
Capture.PNG

Any suggestions & tips will be helpful
Many Thanks

If cost is not a critical factor in your design, or if you do not want to spend time developing such a circuit, you may consider using any kind of transformerless SMPS DC/DC converter module for PCB mounting. At first sight, a voltage regulator-based solution could meet your need, since no electrical insulation is indicated in the circuit, but this approach wastes a lot of energy and requires a big space to accomodate the heat sink.

Hi Andre
Thanks for the reply

I need one converter for both AC & DC, is it possible ?
Lets say i don't know which type & level of voltage input will be... i need to prepare for 12-24 AC & DC

You'll use a bridge rectifier + filter capacitor in front of the voltage regulator/converter.

You don't show a control source for the power switch. If the control interface requires isolation against the power input, I would go for a standard isolated DC/DC module, e.g. wide range 9 - 36 V DC input, 5 V output. Otherwise a non-isolated buck converter or linear voltage regulator.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi FvM
Thanks for the reply

Can you please elaborate regarding the rectifier + filter ? if it is possible an example (diagram, specific component) will be very helpful !
AC will be rectified, what about DC input voltage - just less 2 Vf of the diodes ?
Do i need to ensure enything regarding the rectifier output voltage ? so the DC/DC input will be valid ? (ripples etc')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back