Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace Treadmill DC Motor voltage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All...

This is a great place to share experience and knowledge .
I am seeking experts advice for my problem.
I bought a second hand treadmill , after some days the dc motor burnt. The label on the motor is faded away so I could see only the information 2hp & 4200 rpm. I tried to get the motor model & specifications from internet but no luck.

The treadmill is AC 220V - 240 V , 6 Amp, 50-60 Hz and 1200 W , the rectifier output from the control board is 330 V DC. Now, I got a DC Motor which is 180V DC, 2 Hp, with 5200 rpm. Is it safe to connect this motor directly to the board or should i use 330 V DC to 180 V DC step down before connecting the DC Motor.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

There are numerous variations of treadmill motors.
I might suggest heading to surplus electronics places
(like surpluscenter dot com) where you may find an
exact replacement (or at least exact ratings). I see
several DC treadmill motors in the copy I keep in
the "reading room". There are other surplus type
places out there too, and the treadmill motor seems
to be popular for projects.

I'd bet that the motor details could be teased out
from the treadmill model & mfr with some Googling
(or maybe even direct contact w/ mfr).

The treadmills I've seen are able to speed up and slow down the belt motion. As a rule you can do this by (a) changing voltage going to the motor, or (b) changing duty cycle of pulsed DC to the motor.

Can you confirm what type of power is going to the motor? Do you have an oscilloscope which can safely read 330V? Try testing the slow speeds, and you may discover output does not go above 180V, which ought to be safe for your motor.

On the other hand if it is pulsed 330VDC then it probably is not safe using your 180V motor. There may be an exception if you only use brief duty cycle, and maybe a smoothing capacitor or smoothing inductor.

I have tested dc output by multimeter which is showing rms voltage 330 V dc ( 1. 44 Times of 230 V). I would like to know, if i connect new 180V dc motor.. my treadmill will work ?
.Or should I use stepdown Dc to dc transformer ?
then what model Transformer should i buy 230 To 180 Or 330 To 240?
Or i would appreciate if you can suggest any other method to make it work.

Thanks

Short answer, no. You cannot connect a 180VDC motor to 330VDC.

If it indeed it is 330VDC....the reason I'm saying this, is because without a load the controller board may not be able to regulate the output voltage. I would assume that the controller board has some sort of chopper circuit that lowers the voltage to its proper level.

But -and this is an important clue, if your original motor burned out, it might be that the controller board went defective and allowed the full voltage to be applied to the motor.
I would suggest to find yourself a pair of incandescent light bulbs, wire them in series, and then use it as a dummy load and check for proper controller board voltage before installing a new motor.

A lot probably depends on the control scheme. If
the treadmill has an encoder type speed feedback
then the 180V motor ought to make speed with
less voltage (and within range). But if it uses back
EMF and current for "synthetic" speed feedback,
that calibration will be off by about 1/3 (hang on,
George) and full speed may try to impose full
controller voltage which the motor can't take
(per ratings, at least).

Dick; indeed, encoder and back-EMF speed feedback.

My guess is that they would have used back-EMF in a consumer product, for cost reasons.

Hello,

I figure out the make and model of my treadmill, but could not find details of DC motor.
Reebok Treadmill T 3.1
Model : RE 13311

The motor which i got to replace the faulty motor is for Reebok T 3.2 Treadmill,

Reebok T 3.1 electrical control board model is JD230E/E Round.

If we can find out both model installed with same control board then i guess , this motor will work ..

Can you suggest any idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.