Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple rechargeable battery for 12V device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzareski

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking for a simple rechargeable battery for my device and am a bit overwhelmed - I was hoping for advice on the most promising path to take. The device operates off of a 12V DC current (supplying an arduino and some indicator lights). Ideally it could simply be plugged in to recharge.

Here are the options I was looking at - let me know if there are others that could be better.
  1. Build a LiPo battery - the nominal voltage on most cells I've found is 3.7V, so theoretically I could connect 3 in series and have an 11.1V battery. It seems there is some added complexity with connecting LiPo batteries in series though (a balancer port?), and I would also need to get a charger and make sure they are configured properly.
  2. Buy a LiPo battery - Seems expensive, the cheapest I saw on digikey was $167.
  3. Choose a different battery type - it seems that lead-acid batteries have a typical voltage of around 12V, but are not typically used for smaller devices. Worth looking into?

Thanks!

simple rechargeable battery
plugged in to recharge.

Do you already have a charger for 12V? You might find a small 12V lead-acid battery in a lawnmower or motorcycle shop. Lead-acid is able to tolerate a certain degree of abuse. Maybe a neighbor or mechanic can give you an old car battery for experimentation.

The more modern types require more caution as you charge and discharge them. And they are more expensive.

Connect 4 LiPo cells (identical types) in series and you will get ~14V output. They are all easy to recharge. I use 18650 cells and they last quite a bit and are easy to recharge (they have dedicated charger)

Status
Not open for further replies.