Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Waveport Exciation in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhmech

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Thanks for all the previous responses to my doubts.

I would like to simulate a beam in an offset position within a cavity. First I calculate the resonance cavity of the system (with no beam: I mean a cylinder with material properties as a perfect conductor is used as a beam analogue). Then when I perform in Driven model with an offset beam to understand field localization (which will be used for position determination), with the solution frequency as the resonance frequency, I define waveport excitation on entrance and exit of the structure (waveguide extension). However, with S parameter determination, I could figure out there is complete reflection and no transmission.

However, when I run the simulation with solution frequency as the resonance frequency that was calculated with the offset beam (PEC; the resonance frequency is different obvious), then I see the beam transmitting through the structure. Now I have a contradiction about what is the correct procedure to determine the resonance frequency. From the manual of ANSYS HFSS and from discussion in the forum, I believe the eigenmode is solved with jus the structure volume (with no beam). Now I am lost about how to solve this issue.

I have a feeling that maybe defining the integration line could be one reason but I checked that as well and does not seem to lead to a conclusion.

Could someone help me in this regard?

Thanks a lot for your time and effort!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by a "beam", especially given a wave port excitation. If you want to excite a Gaussian Beam, you can insert it in HFSS under HFSS->Excitations->Assign->Gaussian Beam, but you'll have to extract the scattering parameters yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "beam", especially given a wave port excitation. If you want to excite a Gaussian Beam, you can insert it in HFSS under HFSS->Excitations->Assign->Gaussian Beam, but you'll have to extract the scattering parameters yourself.

I meant beam as a cylinder (a wire) across the cavity with PEC boundary condition.Then it is analogous to a test bench characterization setup. I have not tried with a gaussian beam, maybe that solves the issue. Thanks for the suggestion. Let me try it out and update here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back