Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller with LVDS interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm looking for a microcontroller (family) which has a LVDS interface included. I want to read out an ADC. Unfortunatly I haven't found a single MCU with LVDS inputs, and I think there isn't any MCU available.

If so, can anyone recomment a DSP (with LVDS inputs).
I haven't used a FPGA until now, so if its possible I want to avoid the usage of a FPGA.

BR

just use a single ended to LVDS transceiver, then you can use any micro controller or DSP.

Hi ads-ee,

thank you for the reply. I already had that in mind, but most LVDS to CMOS translator ICs are only available with a low number of inputs (bits), e.g. MAX9123 with 4 bits. So I would need at least 5 additional ICs to read out an 18 bit ADC.

BR

ADC with fully parallel LVDS outputs are used for at least 100 MSPS. There's no chance to stream a similar data rate through any recent microcontroller or DSP.

Do you have a specific ADC in mind?

Hi FvM,

not really I was just curious if any MCU is available with LVDS interface, because, as you mentioned, at higher sample frequencies there are also ADCs which (only) support LVDS.

BR

Hi,

LVDS .. what is it? Just a hardware interface standard. If you want to communicate with a device you need to take the protocol into account, too.
* There are LVDS SERDES devices that transmit 24 bit with one LVDS pair.
* I use a quad simultaneous sampling 14 bit ADC using 11 pairs of LVDS. Why 11? Read LTC2170 datasheet.

Without knowing what device you want to connect .. it makes no sense to worry about LVDS.

BTW: Don´t waste your time by trying to run one of both devices via GPIO of a microcontroller. It makes no sense.

My recommendation:
* first check analog signal bandwidth, channel count ....
* then decide the ADC parameters: sampling mode, sampling frequency, resolution ...
* then select an ADC with the most simple interface for you. SPI, parallel LVCMOS ....

Klaus

Hi KlausST,

first time I heard about SEDERS, that would be a good solution for a serial communicatin, I will keep that in mind :thumbsup:.

Of course, an ADC with a SPI or even I²C interface would be the simplest way.

I'm working with a STM32F429. I want to establish a parallel (CMOS) communication with the Flexible Memory Controller (FMC), which operates up to 90 Mhz. Primarily I'm interested in the realizable maximum data rate (up to 90 MSps ?!?). That's the reason I'm looking for a high speed ADC. There are a lot with CMOS interface which matche my requierments.

But as I already mentioned, I'm only curious if there is a MCU which supports LVDS, but it seems there isn't any one.

Thx & BR

Status
Not open for further replies.