Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just want to know about communication used before LIN,CAN and other comm invention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madbunny1

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I just want to know about the communication Networks used before the LIN,CAN and other communications invented? How did the communication work in a car before these all are invented? I am just curious to know, it may not be a technical question, If anyone knows answer me.

Thanks

I have read once in kvaser that CAN was invented on 1986 by Bosch. Before that ethernet was used for automobile control. each ECU(Electronic control unit) was connected individually to each other since ethernet is not a bus. you can go to KVASER website and learn about CAN FD and previous technology.

I have read once in kvaser that CAN was invented on 1986 by Bosch. Before that ethernet wasother since ethernet is not a bus. you can go to KVASER website and learn about CAN FD and previous technology.

Thank you, I will see it

I have read once in kvaser that CAN was invented on 1986 by Bosch. Before that ethernet was used for automobile control. each ECU(Electronic control unit) was connected individually to each other since ethernet is not a bus.
Really? Can you refer to an ethernet automotive implementation beyond experimental setups and research?

If at all, I would expect basic serial interfaces like RS-485. Ethernet involves a large protocol overhead and isn't deterministic in real time applications. None of the previous automotive processors provides a built-in ethernet interface.

I side with FvM on that. Ethernet has been around for many years but until very recently it hasn't been practical to use it for small installations and in any case why would such a complex protocol be used to do such mundane tasks. If not RS485, I would think some other simple serial system would be used but I'm not sure there was ever a 'standard' across manufacturers or even models from one manufacturer. I would imagine many manufacturers didn't even implement a communication bus at all except possibly for engine diagnostics.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.