Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make different strenght electromagnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

istals

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I want to understand how to create different strength electromagnets and which of values or materiala affect the magnetic field strenght? So I have 0.5 and 0.4 copper (enamelled) 500g spoils, and some iron screws with different length and diameters. I tried to create some electromagnets but with no success ( I made 5 layer coil, and applied 5, 6, 9 and 12 V). So maybe someone can help me with some links, information how to measure best to make diy electromagnets?..

Hi,

The more current and the more windings...the higher the magnetic field.

Klaus

The wire needs to have thin insulation. Your enamelled insulation is suitable. I once tried rubber or cloth insulated wire and it made a very weak electromagnet.

I made a strong electromagnet from a steel rod by winding about 200 turns of 'magnet wire' around it. I hooked it up to a car battery. The electromagnet carried several Amperes and became hot within ten seconds, so I could not use it for a long period. Its attraction was as strong as a neodymium magnet.

You first make a decent bobbin, wind a large number of enameled wire (if you want less current, you need more number of turns and vice-versa) neatly. Select a good core (soft iron)- use discarded transformer core and put it inside the bobbin.

You can vary the strength of the electromagnet by changing the current. You should not saturate the core. It is not difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back