Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synchronize data with general GPIO clk

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsgil85

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends

I have a devboard (with cyclone V) which gets 10bit data + clk(83Mhz),
The problem is that the clk is connected to a standard GPIO pin (not global), and no i don't have an option to reroute it.
How can i synchronize this data to second clk2 domain with the same freq.

I know there is a technique that i can synchronize this data with double/triple DFF, but how to connect the clk

Thanks
Gil

Hi,

What is your highest global clock frequency?

Why can't you reroute it? Internally ... from one pin to another pin close to a clock pin, then connect it externally?

Klaus

Hardly. You need to sample the asynchronous clock and data with a considerably higher clk2 frequency. What's the relation of external clock and data?

What is your highest global clock frequency?
83Mhz
Hardly. You need to sample the asynchronous clock and data with a considerably higher clk2 frequency. What's the relation of external clock and data?
They are aligned with 0 degrees(but i can change it up to 180 degrees), due to nyquist law, is double freq will be enough?

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't you reroute it? Internally ... from one pin to another pin close to a clock pin, then connect it externally?
The problem is that the board designer made it by mistake and the board is already after assembly (no option to manually wiring)

Hi,

Due to nyquist you need higher than double.

But if the global 83MHz clock is aligned to the 83MHz on the GPIO, where is the problem?

Klaus

But if the global 83MHz clock is aligned to the 83MHz on the GPIO, where is the problem?
The input Data & Clk1 are aligned, clk2 is not matched to clk1.

Ok, so no way to get around it.

Hi,

May I ask why both clocks are 83MHz?

If you need more assistence, then provide all related schematics and PCB layout.

Klaus

Assuming that your input clk and the 10bit are sync....

The problem is that the clk is connected to a standard GPIO pin (not global), and no i don't have an option to reroute it.
I don't know about cycloneV but for Xilinx 7 series and above FPGAs there is an XDC command to be used when a normal GPIO pin carries a clock signal. Isn't there something similar with Altera/Intel?
If there is, then use that command in your SDC file. There might be timing problems, but can be resolved by proper analysis (using proper input/output delays or inst. a delay element in the data path).

As you do in the case of other signals. Using an async clk FIFO is perhaps the easiest way out.

I know there is a technique that i can synchronize this data with double/triple DFF, but how to connect the clk
You should use this technique only for single bit signals. But your signal is a 10bit data, so use a FIFO to sync.

I don't know about cycloneV but for Xilinx 7 series and above FPGAs there is an XDC command to be used when a normal GPIO pin carries a clock signal. Isn't there something similar with Altera/Intel?
A GPIO pin driving several register clocks will be automatically routed through a Cyclone V global clock network. But it can't be used as PLL reference clock.

The feature to route a GPIO to a clock network is also the prerequisite for using a DC (domain crossing) FIFO for the design problem.
You should use this technique only for single bit signals. But your signal is a 10bit data, so use a FIFO to sync.

If the data lines are known stable during a certain part of the clock cycle, the data can be consistently read in with a DFF synchronizer for the clock (and delaying DFFs for the data lines as far as required).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back