Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance between human body and all 110-V wiring in a 10'x10' room

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Human body picks up 60-Hz noise from main supply 110-v wiring in rooms. It should be from electrostatic mode coupling.

Is there any article estimated how much parasitic C is between human body and the wirings? Or estimate how much 50-60 Hz voltage noise will human body normally carries in a regular living space?

Regards,
Neo

It's about 20 to 100pF depend on the environment (more metal objects around - 100pF)

It's about 20 to 100pF depend on the environment (more metal objects around - 100pF)

I believe it is the entire C from human to earth, like in HBM model.

I am more curious about partially to wiring of 110v main supply only?

I just did one of my favorite tests with my oscilloscope. Touching my finger to the signal lead only, I see 2V amplitude of 60 cycle hum. (This is in a normal apartment residence with some appliances running.)

Since the scope has 1 megohm input impedance, it implies 2uA of current traveling through my body. Supposedly I pick this up via capacitance from house wiring. There are the basic raw calculations if you are looking for a Farad value. Probably in the pF range as suggested in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back