Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mentor Graphics PADS Layout - Split/Mixed Plane - pad does not connect to plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogulcan123

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm using Mentor Graphics PADS VX.1.2 for PCB design in Windows 7 Pro OS.

I have a pad-plane connection issue. Some pads (not all) does not connect as if they are different nets although they are the same net.

Here is a problematic plane with its properties shown:
plane_connect2-2.png

When I do plane connect using Pour Manager:
plane_connect3.PNG

I get following errors(don't know how relevant):
plane_connect4.PNG

Here is shown only the top layer (using "z1" modeless command):
plane_connect5.PNG

Here is the cam plane preview where the problem is better seen:
plane_connect6.PNG

Here is my Split/Mixed Plane options:
plane_connect7.PNG

Note: In all pictures, green is the explanation edits.

How can I fix this issue?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:

If you'll notice you've got DRC errors (those little green 'x's) in the upper left corner of your pour. There's something amiss in that area.

If you'll notice you've got DRC errors (those little green 'x's) in the upper left corner of your pour. There's something amiss in that area.

Hi,

I put those little green x's myself as I mention that all green anything is my own edit. That area has to be merged, there should be no gap.

I'll try to do some ECO to PCB, import export etc; and in the meantime, any suggestions are welcomed.

Check your thermal tie settings, Any overrides there?

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I spent some time with the thermal settings, I also check the decals thermal settings and this actually help me with some other issues.

However, I solved the problem.. :cool: :grin:

What actually solved my issue is that the plane area has to cover the center of the pad.

For those who will face the same problem, refer to below picture for solution:
plane-solved.PNG

What actually solved my issue is that the plane area has to cover the center of the pad.

I'm not sure how close Pads is to Expedition, but in Expedition there is a setting that controls this. If you have something called "Plane Classes and Parameters", open it. Change your class to the class that the plane is using and then go to the "Clearances/Discard/Negative" tab. Uncheck the "For buried connections, do not connect when pad origin is outside of the plane shape." After doing that, you will get a connection as long as the plane makes contact with the pad. Hopefully, Pads has the same function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back