Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

guide needed for simulating the circuit with script

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyicer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, guys,

I used to simulate the analog circuit by clicking the GUI provided by IC616 and mmsim14. I find it's such a burden to simulate the same circuit for so many times. for example, if I design a specified OTA including only 9 mosfets and 2 capacitors. I have to adjust the dimensions for uncountable times to find good ones, especial for a optimal one(e.g noise optimation).

Now I want to do this in an automated way. I want to write the scripts in order to let the program calculating the proper bias voltage and mosfet and passive elements dimensions for me with the optimization method I give. Here is problem: where can I find the materials that could guide me to learn the scripts language(I know there is pspice)? I hope this language could allow me to call the simulator(like mmsim14) to do the needed simulation such as DC AC STB PSS etc.... and return the simulated results to the specified directories. and then I could transfer these results to the python scripts that I write to find the optimal values. Or a better situation is I could use the functions provided by the IC616 Platform(I believe it's exist in the waveform tools, but how do I call these functions?) instead of using the python scripts. For a single simulation, maybe the result is not the optimal one, so I need to call the simulator to do the former simulation again if the current values don't meet my targets values until I find the optimal one( the ones that meet my targets values).

I have the systemic design methodology. Could anyone give me some links(including the RAK or documents) or the name of the pdfs in the IC616 doc files which could guide me to learn the appropriate language to describe the detailed circuits and call the ADE simulator and do the Loop to find the target values?

thans in advance!

Cadence ADE has an optimizer and if you define W and L dimensions as variables, it will find the optimum ones for a defined target..
In additional to, Ocean script language is very useful to automate the simulations.I used few times to simulate a VCO with 9600 times PSS+PNOISE simulations in Spectre, it's really useful.
I hope that I understood your problem..

thanks for your reply. for your message:Cadence ADE has an optimizer and if you define W and L dimensions as variables, it will find the optimum ones for a defined target. how about the bias voltage. could this tool also set the bias as the parameter? and is this tool only find the target value by sweep without methodology or it has some kind of optimization strategy? thank you again

also, do I need to write the spice to describe the detailed circuit and run the simulation with ocean or I could only use the ocean to finish all the things that I mention above?

thanks for your reply. for your message:Cadence ADE has an optimizer and if you define W and L dimensions as variables, it will find the optimum ones for a defined target. how about the bias voltage. could this tool also set the bias as the parameter? and is this tool only find the target value by sweep without methodology or it has some kind of optimization strategy? thank you again

Any type of variable that has an field to be filled can be presented to the optimizer.They can be parameters of a device or any source ,current,voltage anything.Optimizer has of course an algorithm to find the wanted target.
Random,Gradient,Genetic etc.Using one these method, the optimizer will find -if applicable-the wanted values.Of course, since the variable numbers are increased, optimization will work more but if the initial values are chosen well, optimizer will reach the target rapidly.Ocean is a script language to administrate the simulation procedure and it can surely be ran even in terminal window.But you have to learn this language well to accelerate your design and optimization steps.There should be a Ocean Script Language Reference in help directory in Cadence ADE.

Status
Not open for further replies.