+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Cyclone IV learning board

Hello guys,
    I'm very sorry if this is not the right section, this question doesen't strictly regard FPGA design but I didn't find a better place.
    So I wanted to learn about VHDL and FPGAs to bring to the next level my projects, although FPGA are usually very expensive, I found this cheap fpga devboard on ebay which includes some I/O ports and devices to test it and learn quickly without the need to waste time building small circuits.
    Here is the link. The price seems legit, I saw the fpga only comes for like 10 dollars. The problem is I cannot find that specific product other than on ebay, I don't understand who manifactures that board and if it is trustworthy.
    Do you think I should buy it? I reckon it is not that powerful, its just for learning purposes.

•   Alt8th August 2017, 16:26

advertising

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1525 / 1525
    Level

Re: Cyclone IV learning board

Haven't viewed this, but maybe this will help you decide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qC44bT3r4

From the quick search I did it appears to be a cheap Chinese product that is from some fly-by-night company that may have gone out of business (links to the product on sites like ali express are no longer valid) . There are schematics and documentation available online from what I saw.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   Alt8th August 2017, 17:27

advertising

Member level 2

Helped
    10 / 10
    Level

Every board is OK if there is a documentation for it -- you don't want to guess which FPGA pin is connected to what peripheral. I use eval. board from Terasic/Altera because there is a good documentation with examples (Altera Univesity Program) and you can find lots of project at the internet made by other people.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   Alt8th August 2017, 21:37

advertising

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

OK thank you very much, then I'll be focusing on price and documentation.
    I found a Xilinx spartan 6 based board from numato lab which is nicely documented and seems to offer much more performance at a slightly lower price with respect to that cyclone with 9k logic elements instead of 6k, and 6 inputs LUT instead of 4.
    Also Terasic offers students discount for the DE10lite at the same price poin with a MAX10 with 50k LEs, though I'm not sure if I'm eligible being italian and also I'm afraid of customs since it's hard to tell from where it is shipped...

Member level 2

Helped
    10 / 10
    Level

Ask at mouser.it if you are eligible:

http://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/T...8yhGMK6JK2Y%3d

I bought some Terasic -EDU boards from my local European distributor without any problems when I was at university.

--[[ ]]--