Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Black current in electronic circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is Black current in electronic circuits? I searched over google, but no such informative topics found. What is it actually? TIA

Hi,

Never heard of that.

Maybe you mean blackcurrant.
These are berries, they grow on a bush.
Nothing technical.
Search the internet.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant

If you mean something else: Show us your source of information.

Klaus

There is "dark current" in imagers.

There is "Black's Law" (or equation) regarding electromigration
lifetime vs current density and temperature.

I have not heard of "black current" in all my years of hobby
and professional electronics-messing-around.

I was reading a specification about Constant Current Regulator (CCR) for airport lights. Here is that pdf. Here they mentioned Black Current.

Attachments

• 6021222.pdf
    460.9 KB · Views: 102

It may be a typo or a translation problem from the French.
Right above the "Black current" parameter they mention "Back indication" and I have no idea what that is either.

If you read the specification thoroughly, the meaning of "black" current is quite clear, although I'm not sure if it's a commonly used term for airport lighting systems or a bad translation. It refers to a lamp current so low that the filament stays "black".

I'm also not sure if the "black" current purpose is primarily preheating of incandescent lamps (as usual in stage lighting systems) or a continuous lamp test.

Perhaps an Edaboard user involved in this industry can clarify.

I worked a summer as an intern in a theater.
And indeed, the dimmers, would remain applying a very small current thru the lamps when dimming the stage lights.

I would assume to minimize thermal shocks of expensive and difficult to replace lamps.

Recently I'm working with our national airport lighting systems. The lights are used are very expensive. It is now little bit clear to me about black current. So the device actually never turn the lights off rather than apply a little current all the off time. So that it will never get a quick current when it turns on again. And it helps those light to sustain longer. Am I right ?

Hi,

I would assume to minimize thermal shocks of expensive and difficult to replace lamps.
I heard they do this to speed up: the time from voltage to brightness

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.