Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS Momentum: Interpolation feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_RF

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

As everyone knows simultation time when using momentum can become quite time consuming, especially if some sort of optimisation is involved that requires hundreds or maybe even more EM-simulation-runs on a specific design (e.g. a filter optimisation with many parameters).

I have noticed the "interpolation" tab in the EM-setup that appears to offer some acceleration by interpolating between existing results (see picture).
However I did not ovserve any effect. The feature itself seems not to be documented.

Does anybody have experience with it or knows how to use it effectively?

BR
Steff

Momentum_Interpol.jpg

I used it in ADS 2012 for spiral inductor EM.

Looking at this thread
**broken link removed**
it seems that there might be an issue in ADS2016 with this feature. I haven't checked myself with ADS 2016.

Thanks.

Maybe it doesn't work if two variables change simultaneously, which mostly seems to be the case when optimizing a multi-variable design.

Maybe it doesn't work if two variables change simultaneously, which mostly seems to be the case when optimizing a multi-variable design.

That's not an issue, I use multiple parameters as well:

interp.PNG

In the meantime I tested emModel interpolation with ADS2016 and it all worked well. No issues in my test.

My guess is that your isue is somewhere in scaling the artwork cell. Did you verify that EM results change at all? Please test that, by inserting the parameterized layout into another layout cell, and check that it does change with parameter changes. A possible error source is that ADS sets artwork to "fixed artwork" by default, even if you have defined cellparameters. You need to use File > Customize PCell to set the artwork type to “AEL Macro” and or parameterized subcircuit, otherwise it stays fixed, regardless of the cell parameters.

I described the workflow for parametric EM here:
https://muehlhaus.com/support/ads-application-notes/ael-artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back