Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO frequency and area

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanikapa

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a basic question about LC-oscillators. I will consider a case that the sampling clock of 1GHz is needed. Since the inductors get large area on chip, what is the trade offs that I use a 8GHz VCO and divide it by 8 instead of using a 1GHz VCO?
Thanks

Since the inductors get large area on chip,
what is the trade offs that I use a 8GHz VCO and divide it by 8 instead of using a 1GHz VCO?
You have to consider power consumption rather than occupied area.

Regarding area, direct 1GHz VCO require too large inductor.
Generally, 2GHz VCO or 4GHz VCO is used.

So by increasing the vco frequency, the power also increases?

Sure: every rising and falling edge costs a certain amount of energy [V*I*Δt = Ws]. Assuming similar structures, if you double the frequency, you double the number of energy packages per time, i.e. power [Ws/s = W].

If you talk about the Power Consumption, there isn't any linear relationship between Power Consumption and Frequency of Oscillation.It totally depends on Gm value that plays important role in oscillator design.
The exact reason of building Higher Frequency VCOs is to shrink the occupied are on the silicon.

Negative impedance value of VCO core is roughly equial to -gm/(2*pi*freq*C).
As freq increase, negative impedance value decrease, so you have to increase gm.

Also power consumption of frequency divider is fairly large if you divide 8GHz.

And see www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=342858

Negative impedance value of VCO core is roughly equial to -gm/(2*pi*freq*C).
As freq increase, negative impedance value decrease, so you have to increase gm.

Also power consumption of frequency divider is fairly large if you divide 8GHz.

And see www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=342858

Negative Resistance value will be Re{Zin}=-2/gm for both Bipolar and MOS Cross-Coupled VCO Structures.

Negative Resistance value will be Re{Zin}=-2/gm
for both Bipolar and MOS Cross-Coupled VCO Structures.
Correct.
I showed wrong equations.

Assume series resistance of inductor as Rs.
And assume circuit loss is zero.

Gm must be larger than Rs*(2*pi*freq_res_p*Cp)^2.
As freq increase, necessary negative impedance value also increase, so you have to increase gm.

Attachments

• 170804-202440.png
    170804-202440.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 66

Since the inductors get large area on chip

Oscillator phase noise depends on inductor Q factor. When maximizing the inductor Q factor, it often helps to use less turns, which then requires larger diameter for the same L value. But of course, you can use more turns, resulting in smaller area, if lower inductor Q is still acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back