Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reference sine wave generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssemblyLine

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I need a sine wave generator capable of :
50 Hz frequency output (precision not that important)
output voltage stability: +/-0.03 % (output voltage ~3V dc)
What topology do you recommend in order to achieve such high stability of the sinusoidal output voltage?

What's the voltage and current output?

Voltage allready mentioned: 3V
Current: let's say 10...30 mA. It is a reference voltage so it does not matter that much the current capability

You said 3V dc, so I wasn't sure what you were referring to.

For such stability you would likely need a negative feedback AGC loop to regulate the voltage.

You could use a phase-shift or Bubba oscillator to generate the sinewave (do you have any distortion requirements?).

You could use a precision rectifier on the output to convert the AC to a DC average voltage.

This DC average could be fed into a subtractor circuit along with the voltage from an accurate reference voltage source.

The error difference from the subtractor could be integrated (to minimize offset error) and fed to an analog multiplier, such as an AD623, in the oscillator feedback loop to control the output voltage.

Sound like something that would work for you?

I believe that a digital (DDS) sine generator is the most simple way to generate a frequency and amplitude stable sine, e.g. AD9837.

An analog solution has been suggested by crutschow. For the gain control element you don't necessarily need a precision multiplier, precise level measurement and high gain PI controller are the essential points to achieve the intended accuracy.

I believe that a digital (DDS) sine generator is the most simple way to generate a frequency and amplitude stable sine, e.g. AD9837.

An analog solution has been suggested by crutschow. For the gain control element you don't necessarily need a precision multiplier, precise level measurement and high gain PI controller are the essential points to achieve the intended accuracy.
Doesn't that require a computer to generate the SPI control signals?
Or is there a simpler way to provide those signals?

Yes, you could use a J-FET instead of a multiplier to control the amplitude.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.