Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTE vs 3G power cost at low speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bremenpl

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently working on a device in which I need to implement internet connection. For that I intend to use a GSM module, for example this one: SIM5320. This is a 3G module. I have been reading about 3G vs LTE power consumption comparison (this is a good one: Comparing LTE and 3G Energy Consumption) and it seems that LTE consumes more power. I however, dint intend to use high throughput here. I just need the least power hungry module. I have heard a rumor that at low transmission speeds LTE module would be less power hungry, but I cannot find any data to back this up.

Is that a true statement? I would appreciate all help regarding the topic.

I can't think of a good reason why one should be more power hungry that the other. LTE can be faster but the primary reason for that is it has wider bandwidth and the whole transmission stream is dedicated to data. 3G shares its transmission with voice channels so speed is lower. I suspect you will find little difference between them and the connection speed either achieves will make almost no difference to power consumption.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.