Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Viewing Drill hole diameters in Viewmate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Does anyone know how to do this in the free version of viewmate?

I am using version 11.12.6

I have three files in the gerbers sent to me by our layout guy that appear to pertain to drills...

drill.gbr
drill_n.nc
drill_p.nc

..But i cant see the drill holes exactly.

Here is a previous thread on this issue, that appears to see that i need GC Prevue instead, is this true?

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/320022/

In other words, you have the drill data spread over several files without knowing their meaning and relation.

Why do you think it's a Viewmate problem? I presume, any usual gerber viewer can display the data if you know how to import it correctly.

Hello,
Does anyone know how to do this in the free version of viewmate?

I am using version 11.12.6

I have three files in the gerbers sent to me by our layout guy that appear to pertain to drills...

drill.gbr
drill_n.nc
drill_p.nc

..But i cant see the drill holes exactly.

Here is a previous thread on this issue, that appears to see that i need GC Prevue instead, is this true?

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/320022/

Pretty standard stuff...
drill.gbr Drill Drawing open it and look at it.
drill_n.nc Excellon (probably) drill data non-plated holes.
drill_p.nc Excellon (probably) drill data plated holes.

Open the files and post the headers so I can confirm, but they are pretty standard files produced for every PCB.

So import the Gerber as Gerber, it should have drill letters on, the nc files should import and show a flash where each drill is... I use GCprevue, CAM350 and Camtastic works the same way in those programs so I should imagine Viewmate works the same. Read manual on data import.

Thanks,
Please find attached the dril files. These are the ones which i dont seem to be able to get the drill hole size showing up in viewmate

- - - Updated - - -

I appear to have the drills, but they are coming out with a different origin, and far too big, so i cannot see which drill is which diameter...since the drill "mark" obscures the drills letter.
Does anyone know how to change these things in viewmate setup?

- - - Updated - - -

just imported into GC Prevue (free ver) and its showing up the drills fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas on how to see which drill hole is which size in GC Prevue much appreciated.
There are 0.6mm vias and 0.65mm vias, and theres currently no way of knowing which circle is which.
-But it does show where the drill holes are.
If i right click the circle and go "properties" then i get the drill diameter. For some reason the 0.3mm vias in pads are not showing up in the drill table. Any ideas much appreciated.

Attachments

• drill files.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 103

Better spend some time to read the tool manuals. GC-Prevue has a View/Tool Labels feature to show which is which.

Actually neither ViewMate nor GC-Prevue can import the drill files without some help. ViewMate wrongly assumes imperial units for both files, to be corrected in the Options menu of the Import dialog. GC-Prevue selects wrong table units for the non-plated file.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes excellon files have no header to tell the software what format they are in... I would hope I don't have to explain leading/trailing zeros, metric/imperial units, absolute/incremental co-ordinates...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back