Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic theory needed to learn FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootTea

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I read FPGA basics and I do not understand most of it in the deeper sense. Is there a guideline or learning structure of it? I would not mind starting from the basics. Thanks.

From my point of view clear your concepts of Digital Design principles and work on learning either VHDL or Verilog.
FPGA is just a target implementation of a digital design.
Start by implementing a 3 bit counter on a relatively simple FPGA development board. Everything else will fall in place and you will start to learn about FPGAs as you start implementing the design and make progress.

Thank you so much! I will get into it. Do you mind suggesting some tutorial site for this or a FREE ebook perhaps? Any help would be appreciated.

IMO, the best example is a FIR filter.

This is a basic operation that is easy to understand. FPGA designs exist where you can accept 1 sample per cycle, multiple samples per cycle, or 1 sample per multiple cycles. The difference being the amount of resources used to construct a circuit that can perform the task.

For useful design plans, pipelining, block-processing, and channelizing are all useful concepts. For overall design, consider that each module can be evaluated by itself only if the interface and properties of that interface are well defined. For this reason, unique interfaces between modules should be limited to cases where they are absolutely needed for performance reasons.

I can't relate yet. I googled it and so confused where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.