Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is fpga and where is it used??

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron_boy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what's fpga??

hi guys
i confuse all my time when my friends talking about this FPGA. what's this?? and i dont need the expansion of this acronym. where it is used ?
is that similar to microprocessors or micro controllers?
plz help
advanced thnx

what's fpga??

It contain programabke elements ,You must be familiar with the implemetation of logic functions using mux . It is the basic principle of a LC in the FPGA , The mux based cells can be configured to any desired logic function by writting the desired information to the asosiated ram cells
You can write the RTL in verilog /VHDL and use the software tool chain from the FPGA supplier to create a bit stream to program the abpve mentioned sram. Once you download it to the FPGA it will behave like whatever code you have written

Now a days FPGAs are coming with many componets other than these LCs , they may contain dedicated brams , mac units and even RISC cores ,

FPGAs are used for ASIC prototyping , also in designs which need only small no of pieces , FPGA offers the flexiblity of Design change without any NRE cost compared to the millions required for an ASIC run .

what's fpga??

in addition to complite manaman reply.
in simple words as a comparison to microcontroller
FGPA has:
lower flexibility
longer design time
lower power consumption
higher processing speed
higher reliability
higher development cost
lower production cost

Re: what's fpga??

Hi,
FPGA= Field Programmable Gate Arrays
these are chips that can be programmed using VHDL ( this is hardware description language) you write the behaviour of the digital circuit that you want to design as VHDL code then download this code on an FPGA.
Actually, FPGA contains a group of flip-flops ,mux's ......the code you write is stored in some memory(ROM) when system starts the code is loaded and interpreted in the form of connections inside the FPGA...now , new FPGA's have the ROM iintegrated on the same chip.
I hope I helped you.....PM me for further information....

FPGA s are programmable electronic cards, which are more complex than microprocessors, whereas simpler than digital signal processors (DSP). FPGA s are used for system designs, for example where you want to have a signal source, then a ADC and some other further components to achieve specific tasks. So using an FPGA you can accomplish all of these tasks on one single board.....

They are programmed using hardware description languages (HDL). The most famous ones are VHDL or Verilog...

In fact learning the basic ICs( microcontroller or PICs) are good way before starting into FPGAs....

Hope helps...

Field Programmable Gate Arrays are chips that can be programmed using hardware description language.It contains flip-flops ,mux's etc stored in some memory(ROM) when system starts the code is loaded .

what's fpga??

Fpga is a type of ic that can program to determin its function. The most common mothed is using vhdl or verilog,a languge like C. I think the difference beteen the microcontroller and fpga is the work logic. fpga is use hardware,such as the primitive< or gate ,and gate>, and microcontroller is use software.

FPGA is field programmable Gate Array.it is a semicustom design .FPGA can be reconfigured any number of times.It is preferred when designs are small and volumes of chips required is less.Time to market is very fast,comp[exity supported is less ,Less chance for performance improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back