Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you see anything wrong with the mechanism below ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushikrvs

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
untitled.png

I want to build a flop that gets triggered on posedge of clock and when the clock is low it acts as a reset signal ?

Hi,

It's always critical when two input signals change at the same time.
I recommend not to do it this way.

Klaus

Thanks for the reply. Could you state few problems because of such a design?

Hi,

Assume it is asynchronous reset:
At rising edge of CLK ....
* If RST is considered = LOW, then it may work
* If RST is considered = HIGH, then the output will be cleared, independent of D state. So the output never becomes HIGH.

Setup and hold times may clarify behaviour for your design, but with another design the behaviour may be different.

Klaus

Ok that's helpful. So you are trying to say that if I have an active low RST then it might work. So the hold time would pass without an issue but the setup time might be of a real concern. But if I hold the D constant ; my timing would go clean.

Hi,

whether RST is active_LOW or active_HIGH does not change the timing problem.

--> you need to solve the timing problem.
...by adding delay, by synced logic....

Klaus

View attachment 140107

I want to build a flop that gets triggered on posedge of clock and when the clock is low it acts as a reset signal ?

This is so unintelligent and against all rules of digital design. Q must remain stable for the duration of the entire clock cycle, otherwise timing is a nightmare. Operating on two clock edges is not something desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back