Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Is there a way to probe LVDS serializer output

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsgil85

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone

Since SignalTap can't , Is there a way to probe LVDS serializer output ?

Best
Gil

Yeah it's called an oscilloscope with a differential probe.

Funny, didn't think about it

Is there any way to probe inside the chip?

Is there any way to probe inside the chip?

If your are using Xilinx FPGA, ILA IP core can help.

Too little information. If the LVDS output is driven by a hardware serializer, it can't be probed. "Soft" LVDS can be possibly probed if the data rate is within the feasible core clock range.

Which FPGA family, how's the LVDS_TX implemented, what's the data rate?

Thanks,

I'm using soft core ALTLVDS_TX on cycloneV,
The data rate on the lvds output channel is 50Mhz for this specific test, (in the future should be 200Mhz)
"Soft" LVDS can be possibly probed if the data rate is within the feasible core clock range
what does is mean?
The probe clk using the same output from pll as the LVDS

Cyclone V has dedicated hard IP for the SERDES...
Capture.PNG
but you can implement a soft logic cell SERDES if the clock frequency is low enough.

If you are using the hard SERDES, you can't just pry the top off the IC, so you use an oscilloscope with a differential probe.

And no, I wasn't joking in post #2, you can only look at the signal with a differential probe if the SERDES is a hard core (which I originally assumed it was). If you can loop back the signal then you can always look at it after it's been deserialized on the receiver side using SignalTap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back