Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this FPGA board suitable for learning purposes ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbj2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I already have a mojo-v3 board for learning FPGA programming. I am thinking of buying another low cost board

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-EP2C...id=1500713663&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=mist+fpga

for learning FPGA, is this better than the Mojo v3 ?? faster ??

The board does not have an onboard programmer, the RioRand programmer will be needed for this.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Blas...rd_wg=9rczc&psc=1&refRID=S09ZJ63C87CKV33M244V

Can the programmer be used for programming other FPGA boards or only the RioRand ??

thanks
a

The Cyclone 2 is a very old device now, limiting the versions of Quartus you can use.
That board is also very bare bones, limiting the IO you can get with it. You would probably be better off with something with some more useful interfaces.

The mojo board at least has a Spartan 6 on it. Something that is at least still supported. There is a $99 Artix board called Arty that is at least current generation part.

Thanks for the replies.

Is there anything cheaper (about 50 USD), mojo is good for learning basics, I was hoping a more recent generation would be suitable. A basic board would be ideal, I don't need any extra hardware like switches and LEDs as these I could connect easily myself, I just need the pins to come out, connecter less boards also fine

Status
Not open for further replies.