Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to select amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivanand P

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
At all,

I have a doubt, How to select amplifier for my application..
1. sensor output is in mV, that one i want to use with 25 gain output.. calculation and all i am ok.
2. Single supply(+VCC and GND) or dual supply(+VCC and -VCC), Which one is better..
3. Operational amplifier or instrumentation amplifier, Which one is better with low cost...

Right now i am using AD620 which is an instrumentation amplifier, but the cost is too high.. i wanted to use quad LM324 operational amplifier.. is that will be ok or not please suggest any other proven quad package amplifiers which gives best result..

Hi,

It depends on your application:
* if you need extremely high impedance on two differential signal inputs: use an INA.
Else use an Opamp.

About other parameters: specify:
* supply voltage
* supply current
* noise
* offset ... and drift
* frequency

Klaus

Hi,

It depends on your application:
* if you need extremely high impedance on two differential signal inputs: use an INA.
Else use an Opamp.

About other parameters: specify:
* supply voltage
* supply current
* noise
* offset ... and drift
* frequency

Klaus

* supply voltage +5V
* supply current 1 ampere
* noise These info about supply or from my sensor output?
* offset ... and drift
* frequency

Hi,

All information refers to your application.
Voltage: What power supply is available? Single, dual, stabilized...?
Current: how much current do you allow your application to draw. Especially important for battery operated systems.
Noise: you want to measure a signal. How much noise can you tolerate on this signal? Mainly your Opamp input noise. But for sure: if the power supply is noisy, then you need to choose an Opamp with enough PSRR.
Offset and drift: if you are interested in DC of your signal, and you want some precision, then you need low offset drift.
Frequency. Of your signal. You need to amplify this, so your Opamp needs enough GBW and enough slew rate.

--> Before you can select an Opamp you need to know the specifications of your application. No one of us can tell you this.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.