Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

modelsim on HPC for faster simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmeloA

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know if it is possible to run simulations with modelsim using a high performace computer?
sometimes i noticiese that for a bunch of milli-seconds the simulation takes minutes. so i am interested in speeding up this process because i think that for a very complex architecture the simulation it will be very slow.
Thank you

The faster the computer used the faster the simulation.

Thanks for your reply.
So yuou mean that a workstation behave better than a cluster that it is optimized for parallel computing?
it's possible to do the simulation in a parallel way with modelsim taking advantage of the hpc?

I don't believe that modelsim is capable of multi-threading the simulation kernel. I don't think any simulator does that. Modelsim will put the update of the waveform display on a separate thread, but that has nothing to do with the simulation kernel.

Most of the performance improvements due to the machine will come from using a computer with the highest clock frequency processor with the fastest RAM and an SSD drive. If you want significant performance improvements in the simulation time and don't mind losing visibility into the design then using vopt options will benefit you the most (even more than an overclocked screaming fast computer). Of course that means using the higher end versions of Modelsim/Questa as the low end ones don't have any optimization capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back