Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Foil Winding Transformer and Inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manojcheers

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Iam Trying to build a transformer and Reactor .But, I couldnt Get a Proper cu/Al Foil selection chart .Kindly Share your knowledge .

1.) How to Select the thickness of the Cu/Al foil ?
2.)How to select the width of the Cu/Al foil ?
3.) What will be the Aproximate current density to be used for both Cu/Al foil ?

Best Regards
Manoj

I would suggest the opposite; please locate available foils, their thickness and insulation (and finally available widths). Then decide whether it will be convenient to fit into the transformer or toroid (the core). Then decide the width depending on the current density needed. If the exact values are not available, you will have to do an iterative process so that all the parameters are within limits.

Avoid Al foils.

Will u please sugest me any article regarding my querie for better understanding .

While in round and rectangular strips we used to pick the conductor as per SWG or AWG table depends on current carrying capacity .Similarly , how would we calculate the foil thickness and width ???
Best Regards
Manoj

1. You need to compute the cross-sectional area and and compute the current carrying capacity based on the area of the foil. This will give you the DC capacity.

2. For high frequency AC, if the foil thickness << penetration depth (skin effect) you should be OK. Else you should consider the thickness as the equivalent penetration depth. The current capacity will be accordingly reduced.

3. You need to decide the width, from the limited range of choices, based on the final current density.

Dear sir,

Thanks for your support . As ,the foil is not self insulated .The Kraft paper or equivalent insulation sheets are used .But, As the insulation is wound along with the foil throught the winding process what would be the Window utilisation Factor .

Best Regards
Manoj

You should wind insulation material along with foil feed from another spool

Window utilization factor will be vary with round wire or foil
0.4 considered for round wire and 0.65 considered for foil winding

As ,the foil is not self insulated .The Kraft paper or equivalent insulation sheets are used .But, As the insulation is wound along with the foil throught the winding process what would be the Window utilisation Factor...

If you are cutting the foil from a sheet, then you should select the full bobbin width (keeping some 0.5 mm margin on each side) as the width of the foil. The thickness should be decided based on the frequency and the skin depth. I suggest using thinner sheets, they are easier to work with, and in case you need higher current density, use two foils in parallel (like bifilar or multistrand wires; you can also make two coils terminated at the end). Yes, it will consume lots of window space because kraft paper is much thicker than typical insulation paint. Perhaps you will need only a few turns (depends on the final voltage and power).

Sir,
Perhaps you will need only a few turns (depends on the final voltage and power). How to calculate the turns for foil winding .Generally we use faradays law to calculate the the turns i.e N=(Vac *10^4/kf*Bac*f*Ac) the same law is used but there is no change in the variables so how would we ???

Which method is used to take lead wire out for termination .A copper flat bus bar is used and how to size it ???

1. You need not bother whether the conductor is round or flat; number of turns will be the same for round conductors or flat ones.

2. Near the (both sides can be done in the same way) end, fold the flat foil into a 45 angle and fix it with twine. Remember to leave a gap of 0.5-1.0 mm at the edges.

3. What is the design power of the transformer? Most of the answers depend on the overall power rating. Is it a high frequency (ferrite) transformer?

Dear sir ,

I want to design a inductor for FIlter (LC ,LCL ) application and its operating frequency is 50Hz and switching frequency depends on the Filter system .
I can find a Copper Bus are used to take output as a Lead wire in such Inductors .

Best Regards
Manoj

If the switching frequency is 50Hz you will need to use iron core and the core size will depend on the power rating (current through the inductor; total energy stored in the inductor) and the conductor size will depend on the current used. Perhaps there will be no need to use foil winding because that is more useful when you use high frequency (avoiding the skin effect). You may also consider multifilar winding because that may be more useful during the winding process.

Status
Not open for further replies.