Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to expand expression using binomial theorem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,

I want to expand an expression using binomial theorem as given below:
Code:
(1+E*N[SUB]i1[/SUB]+E[SUP]2[/SUP]*N[SUB]i2[/SUB])[SUP]-2[/SUP]

Since there are three terms with a negative power, I'm not quite sure as how to expand the same.

Regards,

Rahul

I'm not a math guy, but I think the binomial theorem applies to binomials; you've got a trinomial.

Group the 2nd and third term together and call that x. Then you have (1+x)^(-2). The general formula for this expansion is:

1-2*x+3*x^2-4*x^3-4*x^4....

This is an infinite series. Look up wolframalpha for the details and other forms of this series. If the second and third terms are small (<<1), then perhaps you can keep the first term only as an approx.

Group the 2nd and third term together and call that x. Then you have (1+x)^(-2). The general formula for this expansion is:

1-2*x+3*x^2-4*x^3-4*x^4....

This is an infinite series. Look up wolframalpha for the details and other forms of this series. If the second and third terms are small (<<1), then perhaps you can keep the first term only as an approx.

Darn, after thinking a bit, I was just going to suggest grouping two terms!

Status
Not open for further replies.