Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCP73831/2: Strange New Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikhilRocksss

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with MCP73831/2. I'm charging my LiPo at 220mAh with 4.7K RProg.

So, once I'm done, it charges the battery well for a few days and sometimes even weeks. Then suddenly out of the blue it blows up, and when I diagnose it, it shows that VBat and GND have a short circuit.

Sometimes it occurs when its charging, and sometimes it occurs out of the blue when it's simply connected to the battery, and not charging.

My circuit design follows the example circuit given by Microchip, and has 4.7uF as bypass between VDD and GND as well as between VBAT and GND.

Please help.

I'm attaching a pic of our circuit to this thread.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 73

C77 probably leaks... The same problem occurred few weeks ago, the electrolytic capacitor of the regulator circuit of my multi-meter was leaking and it was sometimes working, sometimes not.
Choose a good quality and well known brand capacitor.Check it out with a multi-meter by squeezing or lightly heating it up with a hot air pistol.Because it can seem to be working in a normal conditions but ..

So this can't be an issue, since we're using a 4.7uF 0402 SMD cap by TDK.

So this can't be an issue, since we're using a 4.7uF 0402 SMD cap by TDK.

Are you using a water based flux solder. and did it get cleaned?

What is the input voltage? Is it on a long wire?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.