Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What would backlight voltage likely be for PWB 20434-CEM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have several 20x40 LCDs I'm playing with and just noticed some have what has to be a backlight.

I had thought they had none ... so am pleased. I can't find any data on these and am not sure what the backlight voltage would be.

The LCDs are labeled with the number: PWB 20434-CEM. They have a single line of 14 pins ( I know the pinout for that) and then 2 pads soldered to the backlight. I tried poking around with an ohmmeter to see if it might be similar to an LED and it does not appear to be.

Any idea on what the backlight voltage/current might be ?

Would appreciate any advice.

Normally, the displays with 14 pins do not have a backlight and the Optrex data sheet says it doesn't have one either. Ones with a backlight have an extra pin 15 and 16 to supply it. However, the PCBs are usually made with provision to fit a backlight as an option so perhaps the pads you see are for that but not actually used.

The backlights are typically either electroluminescent (~100V AC) or more commonly LED in which case it will be a single white or green LED needing around 5V but you might have to externally limit it's current to around 10mA or less.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back