Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL array comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telboy99

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a command buffer from an input of a UART and I want to decode various commands to perform actions in a FSM. I have created an array of 80 characters and in this example I want to see if the word Print has been entered, however, this does not compile.

type InputBufferType is array (0 to 80) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
signal CommandBuffer : InputBufferType;

if commandBuffer(0 to 4) = "Print" then

Any suggestions are welcome !

Thats because "Print" is an array of characters.
Your input buffer is an array of std_logic_vector.

You will have to compare each entry to indvidual ascii codes

I will note though, this is a very inefficient design and likely to have a slow clock speed, as you are comparing many different length commands and building some large logic trees. Had you considered the design before you wrote the code? would a ram have been better than this array of registers?
Could you not process the words on every clock cycle with a state machine, rather than buffering them all and having to do a large parrallel compare?

Thanks for this, I rearranged to

if commandBuffer(0)= x"50" and
commandBuffer(1)= x"72" and
commandBuffer(2)= x"69" and
commandBuffer(3)= x"6E" and
commandBuffer(4)= x"74" then
cmd <= Print;

Answer to your points, as this is a temporary solution for a proof of concept, I was looking for a quick / simple method. I did consider using RAM but thought the registers would be simpler to use.
However, I am intrigued about the issue with large parallel compare, if I did this character at a time, I would still have the same number of comparison right ? or am I (most likely) missing the point ? Also, I can not see how I could do a compare serially to workout what the command would be (there are only 6-7 commands), so if you could point me in the right direction, I would certainly give it a go.

Thanks again.

Currently this requires N comparators, with the results all anded together, with many idle cycles as the letters are read in.
Doing the compare each clock cycle only requires 1 comparator, as you are just looking for individual letters, This gives many fewer idle cycles. The state machine would control which letter you were currently looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.